The average body temperature of adults is between 35.8 ° C and 37.5 ° C. When the body temperature rises above 38 ° C, it is a fever. Don’t panic, fever is only potentially dangerous when the body temperature exceeds 40 ° C. We then speak of “high fever”. Do you have a fever? Find out here how to relieve it!
Your normal body temperature is only average. It varies throughout the day. The body temperature is indeed lower in the morning than at the end of the afternoon. Other things like room temperature, physical exertion, whether or not you take medication, and diet affect your body temperature. In women, ovulation can also lead to a sudden increase in body temperature.
Why does the body cause fever?
When pathogens enter the body, the immune system kicks in. A virus or bacteria makes the body sick. The body defends itself by producing antibodies (pyrogens). These work best when the temperature is high. “Having a fever” is, therefore, a useful reflex created by the body.
Symptoms of fever
Apart from the increase in body temperature, fever can be recognized by the following symptoms:
- Suddenly feeling very hot or very cold. It is very common to shiver when you have a fever
- To shiver
- Turn pale
- To blush
- Delirious (during high fevers)
- Young children (up to 5 years old) may have febrile seizures
How to measure fever?
It is not difficult to measure fever. A good thermometer and you’re done. But where is fever best measured? In the mouth? Under the arm? Here are some tips for measuring fever correctly:
Always use the same method. This means:
- Always measure in the same place with the same thermometer
- The classic mercury thermometer gives the most reliable results. A digital thermometer is more practical and faster, but less correct. We especially advise against the ear thermometer
- The best way to measure body temperature is rectal. Under the armpit, the result is often a degree below actual body temperature. Under the tongue, the difference from actual body temperature is less, up to 0.5 ° C below. Children’s temperature should always be taken rectally. Make sure you have good hygiene
- Do you measure fever by mouth? So place the mercury thermometer under the tongue
- The armpit and ear are also good places to measure fever. Pay close attention to the temperature difference as explained above when measuring the temperature through the armpit
- Body temperature varies throughout the day. So measure the fever at different times in order to get a correct result
What is cold fever?
During a sudden increase in temperature caused by fever, you may feel cold, so much that you shiver. It is indeed fever. In fact, shaking and shivering warms the body.
Relieving fever: is it a good idea?
Some people try to relieve fever by using Paracetamol, for example. An increase in body temperature paralyzes the activity of pathogens. Relieving fever, therefore, goes against rapid recovery. However, it is still common in the medical world to relieve fever. Follow the advice of your general practitioner. During high fevers (over 40 ° C), it is better to use an antipyretic.
What to do in case of fever?
When you have a fever, it is important to make sure that your body temperature does not suddenly cool down. The temperature variations are not good either. They can cause febrile convulsions.
Depending on the type of fever (cold fever or high fever), you can either sweat to relieve the fever or take medicine.
Sweating to relieve a fever means that you will have to endure the feverish state.
Here are some tips for treating fever:
- Drink plenty of water (for each additional degree you should drink half a liter of water in addition to the usual consumption per day);
- Make sure that body heat can escape. It is, therefore, necessary to wear loose and thin clothing;
- Avoid foods that are difficult to digest and high in protein so as not to overload the intestines during a fever.
The importance of good immunity
The body has a fever when foreign objects get in. In order to fight off potential intruders, it is important to maintain good immunity. Good body resistance is the best weapon against viruses and bacteria. You can strengthen your immune system with the chinacea purpurea.