Here is one of my favorite combinations in cooking: strawberry and rhubarb. Although these fruits are both tangy, they have a very different scent and go well together. The rhubarb is first stewed with a little sugar and then the pieces of strawberries are added. The whole is placed in ramekins or small casseroles and then covered with a crumble made by mixing together butter, sugar, flour and almond powder. A turn in the oven and it’s ready, you can eat this dessert warm with a scoop of ice cream (or not!) Or also cold.
Each crispy bite of crumble associated with stewed fruit is a pure moment of indulgence! We succumbed to it with great pleasure …
I’m republishing this recipe from 2012 because I redid the photos. I’m trying to improve (it’s time to get started!) And in some cases the initial photos are so ugly that it’s not too hard to do better. I would put in a story on Instagram the Before / After, you’ll laugh: it’s heavy … The first lemon tart by Pierre Hermé that I published in 2011, was qualified by my daughter who saw it the last week of – I quote – lemon stew. That gives you the measure of the scale of the disaster and yet at the time, we still had a blast. Things have changed a lot since that time and the visual has become much more important than it was in the blog’s early years.
On May 11, 2012, when it came time to offer you this crumble, I was going to Rome for a week, after my training as a webmaster… It’s a wonderful memory.
Now I live in Brittany, so the strawberries are local and are delicious. Have a good gourmet Wednesday!
Type of dish: Dessert
Food : french
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Total time : 50 minutes
Servings: 6 persons
Author : Turbigo Delicacies
- 500 g rhubarb
- 450 g strawberries
- 30g butter
- 80 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
For the crumble:
- 80 g of butter at room temperature
- 80 g brown sugar
- 60 g ground almonds
- 100g of flour
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, ground almonds, soft butter and flour.
- Mix with your fingertips to form a sandy paste (or with the pulse function of a robot).
- Reserve the dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Peel the rhubarb and cut into sections.
- Put it in a saucepan with the sugar and cook gently for about 15 minutes until it is stewed.
- Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and mix them with the rhubarb.
- Distribute this mixture among the casseroles. Crumble the pieces of crumble on the tops of each casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tops of the casseroles are golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold.