To start the week, I offer you a recipe that I haven’t cooked! During this period of confinement, I am not idle behind the stoves, however, but my son-in-law wanted to cook us a recipe he had already tried. He had seen these meatballs and rigatoni on the Youtube channel Not Another Cooking Show It’s an American who offers it and even if I admit that it’s the kind of video that I never watch (it’s a little too messy for my taste), the result is delicious. We prepare everything from the sauce to the meatballs.
It takes a little time but the result is really worth it, we really enjoyed ourselves! And like time, we have a lot of it right now, we even minced the meat ourselves. This is the kind of dish I love because it scents the house and makes your mouth water before you even sit down to eat. It’s friendly and tasty: a dish that comforts and reconciles with life …
Have a good start to the week, the end of the containment tunnel may be in sight!
Type of dish: Main course
Food : italian
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Author : Turbigo Delicacies
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 large cans of peeled tomatoes in juice
- 6 or 7 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 bunch of fresh basil + for serving
- olive oil
For the meatballs:
- 700 g ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g of grated pecorino + for serving
- 1/2 bunch of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- olive oil
- 450g rigatoni pasta
- salt pepper
Prepare the tomato sauce:
- Put the contents of the 2 boxes of peeled tomatoes in a bowl and mix them finely. Reserve 3 to 4 tablespoons in a second bowl (for the meatballs).
- Peel and finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Put 3 tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Add the washed and dried fresh basil and minced garlic then heat over low heat.
- When the basil leaves start to brown, remove them from the pan and add the mixed tomatoes.
- Salt and pepper then bring to a boil.
- Then let simmer over low heat.
Meanwhile, prepare the meatballs:
- Add the cream, eggs, chopped parsley, breadcrumbs and chopped garlic cloves to the bowl of reserved tomato sauce.
- Salt and pepper then mix well.
- Add the minced meat and mix thoroughly.
- Using your slightly moistened hands, form approximately 16 meatballs.
- Pour olive oil into a pan and heat.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides then add them to the tomato sauce and simmer for 1 hour. Adjust the seasoning.
- Place the rigatoni to cook in a large pot of salted boiling water.
- Let them cook until the pasta is a little less than “al dente”.
- Drain them and return them to the pan that was used for cooking.
- Add 3 ladles of tomato sauce to it, then return to the heat to finish cooking the pasta.
- Serve the pasta with the meatballs and sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated pecorino and chopped basil.